If you’re considering renting a self-storage unit, one of the most important things to consider is how much space you’ll need. The size of the unit you choose will not only affect the cost of your rental but also the ease of accessing and organizing your belongings. Here are some tips to help you determine how much space you’ll need in a self-storage site.
- Make an inventory of your items The first step in figuring out how much storage space you need is to make a list of all the items you plan to store. This includes furniture, boxes, appliances, and any other large items. Take measurements of your larger items, so you know exactly how much space they will take up in the unit.
- Consider the type of unit The size of the unit you’ll need will also depend on the type of items you plan to store. For example, if you plan to store a lot of boxes, you’ll need a larger unit than if you plan to store mostly furniture. Additionally, if you plan to store items that are sensitive to temperature or humidity, you’ll need a climate-controlled unit.
- Estimate the size of the unit you need Once you have an inventory of your items, you can use a storage size estimator to help determine how much space you’ll need. Many self-storage companies offer these tools on their websites or you can ask for assistance in-person.
- Consider future storage needs Keep in mind that your storage needs may change over time. If you plan to store items for an extended period, you may want to choose a slightly larger unit than you currently need, to accommodate any additional items you may acquire.
Self-storage sites offer a range of storage types to accommodate different needs and preferences. Understanding the different types of storage available can help you choose the best option for your needs. Here are some of the most common types of storage in a self-storage site.
- Indoor storage Indoor storage units are located inside a building, and they offer additional protection from the elements. They’re typically climate-controlled, which makes them ideal for storing items that are sensitive to temperature or humidity, such as antiques, electronics, and documents.
- Outdoor storage Outdoor storage units are typically located in a fenced or gated area, and they’re accessible by vehicle. They’re a popular choice for storing large items like boats, RVs, and vehicles. Outdoor storage units are often less expensive than indoor units, but they don’t offer the same level of protection.
- Drive-up storage Drive-up storage units are typically located on the ground floor, and they offer easy drive-up access. This type of storage is ideal for items that are heavy or bulky, such as furniture and appliances. It’s also a convenient option for people who need to frequently access their storage unit.
- Climate-controlled storage Climate-controlled storage units are designed to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level, which can help protect sensitive items from damage. They’re typically located indoors and offer additional protection from dust, pests, and other environmental factors.
- Portable storage Portable storage units are delivered to your home or business, and they’re typically loaded and unloaded by a professional moving company. This type of storage is convenient for people who need temporary storage during a move or renovation. It’s also a good option for businesses that need extra storage space on-site.
- Specialty storage Some self-storage sites offer specialty storage options, such as wine storage, vehicle storage, or document storage. These types of storage units are designed to meet specific needs and often have additional security features, such as surveillance cameras or alarm systems.
In conclusion, figuring out how much space you need in a self-storage site can seem daunting, but with proper planning, it can be a straightforward process. By making an inventory of your items, considering the type of unit, estimating the size you need, and thinking about future storage needs, you can find the perfect storage solution for your needs.